When I first decided to make my own soap, the goal was just to make something natural that I could use in place of the mysterious chemically-laden store soaps. I thought I’d make a few batches and make more as needed. Well, after each batch I was improving the recipe, trying different oils, etc. Before long I was hooked and venturing into colorants and exfoliants. It just kept going from there. Coincidentally at the same time I was amassing an impressive stockpile of soap supplies.
So here are a few reasons why I love this hobby!
1) It’s natural. I know exactly what’s in my soap and I know what’s not. Because I only use natural butters and oils, my skin is never dry, flaky, or itchy.
2) It cleans better than regular soap. No oil or dirt is ever left behind. I’ve had construction workers use my soap and they all agree it gets them cleaner than regular soap. Also, because it cleans better, you don’t have to use as much to get the job done.
3) It’s fun! Besides the limitless ingredient options, I can design soap with swirled colors, embeds, shape it any way I want, and scent it how I please.
4) It’s challenging. Experimenting can yield great or disastrous results. When the latter happens, I just go back and tweak the recipe until it comes out right. Because of this it’s never boring and there’s always room for improvement.
5) It’s green. Making my own soap cuts down on waste. I use tallow and lard in some of my soaps as a way to recycle something that would otherwise just end up in the landfill.
6) It’s satisfying. Making something with your own hands is very rewarding, and seeing how much your family likes it and benefits from it is the icing on the cake.
If you make soap, what is your favorite thing about it?